Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Canditate Match Games




USA Today
V.A. Joe
DEHP
Speak Out
Select Smart

It was Glen Phillip's website that brought these "Candidate Match Games" to my attention (and considering that Glen Phillips is a musician, not a politician nor pundit, I just got to say, how cool is Glen Phillips!).

They were interesting to complete, as the results were surprising. Before I took them I was leaning toward Borack Obama. But after answering their survey questions pretty much all the sites (with the exception of one) put Dennis Kucinich as my top choice (above is a screen capture of my results from the USA Today site). Which really shouldn't have surprised me, as he is the only one who voted against the war from the start, and is proposing the most comprehensive form of health care, all issues I agree strongly with. Unfortunately, although he is still in the race, he is pretty much being ignored by the media (including NPR, to which I say "Shame on you, NPR!") and by CNN who refused to let him in the Democratic debate in California ("Shame on you, CNN!"), and therefore really has no chance at building momentum and winning the nomination. (In closing, I just attempted to include a link to his site and went there to copy the URL, and while there discovered that he has withdrawn from the race as of today. I've yet to hear about this on MPR, which is interesting, because they interrupted their morning shows to announce that Edwards had withdrawn).

But my initially leaning toward Borack wasn't too far off, because he often came in second in my surveys. Which is good to know as well, because at least he is still in the game.

In regards to Hillary, while I think it is time for a woman President and I'm excited by the possibility of a woman as President, there are four things that keep me from backing her:
  1. The legacy. I'm definitely tired of the Bush legacy, and I don't really think a Clinton legacy is going to improve bipartisanship on "The Hill". There is too much animosity there toward the Clintons, including Hillary, and I don't think she would be able to promote bipartisan politics enough to get much done. I think there would just be more division with her.
    (An interesting point I just heard while listening to the California debates: at age 35, I've never had a Presidential ballot in which a Clinton or a Bush was not on it. If I'm running the math correctly, you could actually go back as far as 1967. That is to say, anyone born in 1967 or thereafter has always had a Clinton or a Bush on a Presidential ballot. The last ballot that didn't was in 1984. Anyone born in 1967 would have been 17 in 1984, and unable to vote. If Hillary wins the nomination and the presidency (which would assume a run for a second term), that means that I'll be 43 and someone could be as old as 49 years old before they were able to vote on a ballot without a Bush or a Clinton! Half a life time of having two legacies on your ballot! I suppose by then Jeb Bush would want a turn! Seriously, it's time for a change!)
  2. Because of the above Hillary offers the Republican party an excuse to unite and rally, just like the Democrats had with Bush (think "anyone but Bush", they'll be saying "A.B.C... Anyone But Clinton", which I've already heard from one caller on NPR). I think the Republican Party will have a more difficult time rallying against Obama, and Obama has a better chance of winning against the GOP. Unfortunately with Obama, race may prove a uniting factor ("anyone but a black man"), but the same may unfortunately prove true regarding gender ("anyone but a woman").
  3. Health care. According to a health pundit on MPR, during a debate the Democratic candidates were asked when they would have their health care package complete. Edwards and Obama said by the end of their first term. Hillary said by the end of her second. Given that Presidents really only have the first 100 days to make any change before they loose goodwill, and that you can't rely on being re-elected, I don't think Hillary is making health care a big enough priority. Also, she has accepted campaign money from the pharmaceutical industry, so there will be pressure there when it comes to health reform.
  4. The war. She has been too supportive of it for too long.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Feel free to email me or to leave comments on the site.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home