Thursday, September 18, 2008

One of Those Days

Today is "one of those days" in which I have a long list of things I want to get done: mow the lawn, move the laundry along, fold the laundry, get supper started, straighten up the kitchen, schedule an eye exam, turn the compost, fix the ladder, bring in the garbage cans, enter receipts into Quicken, clean up the basement, pay a traffic ticket, troubleshoot my mother-in-law's internet connection.

I manage to actually finish three of them (ladder, compost, garbage... yeah the simpler stuff), forgot about two of them (traffic ticket, eye exam), try to start two of them (move the laundry along, straighten up the kitchen), all the while being interrupted three or more times with whines, cries, complaints, turf wars, screams, protests, demands, tantrums, tears.... And that is it; that's everything I get done. That is how my time has been spent. The rest has yet to be finished or even started. It is no wonder that I'm often satisfied if I manage to accomplish one major task during the day.

It is days like this when I think of people like my old boss, the one I told I was quitting to be a stay-at-home dad, and who replied that he wished he could do the same (thought he didn't have any kids)... so that he could go fishing. Hmmm.... fishing. I didn't say anything at the time because I was pretty clueless about what this entire adventure was going to be like. As far as I knew, he could be right, I might be able to get a lot done and have some nice free time. But now my thoughts are pretty clear: Yep, he OBVIOUSLY didn't have any kids.

Fishing must be the male equivalent of eating bon-bons while watching the soaps.

Guess I need to add that to my list of things to have interrupted: purchase fishing pole.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home