Thursday, February 21, 2008

They say the darndest things

Since this blog is serving as sort of a living memorybook for the coming years, I have a few random anecdotes that I would like to record here.

This past weekend was my (Mary's) birthday. It was a busy day, I had to work. I left before Sofi got up to be at solo ensemble festival all day and then went out to dinner with Andy and some friends after that. When I got home she was in bed. As seems to happen often after one of these long days, Sofi woke up in the middle of the night calling my name. I went to see what she needed and heard her tell of her bad dream (something about Daddy and Isaac and she being in the library and not able to get out - no doubt an idea spurred by a recent episode of Arthur). And then all of a sudden she sat straight up and, sounding hurt and incredilous, she said "Mommy! You skipped your birthday! It was your birthday yesterday and you skipped it! There was a present and everything!" This was my first realization that my birthday, like everything else now as a mom, is not really my own. It's a family holiday. However unbenounced to Sofi, Andy and I have sort of agreed to celebrate my half birthday on August 16th instead of my real birthday on February 16th since I ALWAYS have to work on my birthday and February is just too busy and stressful in my life to really celebrate much of anything.

Tonight I noticed that on Sofia's dresser there was a picture from my cousin Sue's wedding in which I was the maid of honor a number of years ago... maybe 6 or 7?. Sue and I were in the picture dressed in wedding formalwear. Sofi said that she put that picture there (lifted it from it's home in the living room) so she could see me every morning. I asked her if she recognized the other girl and told her it was Noah and Nathan's mommy. A smile spread across her face as she said "from the cabin!" Then she commented on how pretty we look, and pointed to Sue and said "and look how BIG her chest is!" (A comment that I am sure Sue would appreciate having probably not heard it too often in her life :-) ha ha!

Isaac has now added monkey sounds "oo oo! ah ah!" to his existing vocal repertoire of dada, hat, hot (they sound very similar :-) and countless squeals, grunts and giggles. He loves to practice the monkey sound when Sofi is watching Curious George. I hope I never forget the sound of his giggle when I pretend to eat his toes or nibble his neck. He also enjoys our nightly ritual of dancing in a diaper on his changing table to my mouth percussion "It's jamma time! Break it down! bm ch bm bm ch..." and then is very good at snuggling in quickly for a "slow dance" (ala the high school prom) on cue. Although I can tell he prefers to dance to a strong beat!

I am so thankful that both my kids are happy and affectionate at this point in their lives. The other day I was struck with how readily they snuggle in. I came home and picked up Sofi, fresh from a rare nap, and she immediately tucked her hands in between us, put her head on my shoulder and completely relaxed in my arms. To me I think that is the image of true faith and trust. Oh that we all might readily snuggle into God's arms just like that, releasing all of our fear and tension.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home